Start Your Blog
I bet you’ve been reading a lot of blogs and now, you’ve been inspired to start your blog, your own personal space in the world wide web.
But now, you’re probably wondering where to begin.
I had that problem once. And I was fortunate to have found so many resources in starting one, especially about building a dot-com blog.
Now, I am paying it forward by helping you how to start your own blog.
HOW TO START YOUR BLOG
1. First, pick a topic you want to talk about or a niche you want to focus on. It helps if that topic or niche is one you’re interested in even offline. It can be fashion, photography, food, parenting — anything that you feel you can showcase to the world.
You can cover a mix of related topics like fashion and lifestyle, or food and family. I would suggest, though, to not go over 3 topics or niches that are too unrelated.
2. After settling on a topic or niche, pick a nice and catchy name for your blog. This name will also be the basis of your domain name or the “www.yourwebsitename.com” that you should purchase.
There are a lot of domain sites you can buy from, but for Filipinos like me based in the Philippines, I’d recommend Pangalan.com. I found them as a reputable domain provider. I’ve posted about them before; you can read about the reason why I chose Pangalan.com as the place to buy my domain name.
3. Once you have a domain name, you can already choose your web hosting provider. Basically the web host is your online real estate, so best to choose a reputable and reliable provider. There are a lot of web hosting providers out there; most WordPress users would go with Bluehost. As for me, I went (again) with Pangalan.com. The above link also details why I chose them for web hosting, but to make the long story short, they have affordable monthly fees for bloggers like me. In fact, their cheapest is at Php 150 per month only! 🙂
4. Now you have domain and hosting, you can now choose your blogging platform. I find WordPress to be very user-friendly, plus they have a lot of useful plugins (one of which is Yoast for SEO, which I love-love-love).
If you decide to not purchase your own domain and web hosting, you can go for the free platforms like Blogger and WordPress.com. But if you plan to monetize your site, I would suggest going dot-com early on than do the tedious task of migrating your site, like what I did.
5. You’re almost set! All you have to do now is pick a theme or template for your blog. You can pick free themes or purchase premium themes that you can better customize. CreativeMarket is among those sites that have a wide selection of premium themes you can choose from.
AND THAT’S IT! YOU NOW HAVE YOUR OWN BLOG!
I hope I was able to help you start your blog. Now, just let those words and pictures flow. Let me know your blog links so I can visit! 🙂
*This post contains affiliate links that let me earn when you purchase through those clicks. No worries if you don’t; my intention here is to share tips on how you can start your own blog.